Journey to Headstand (Sirsasana)
Saturday 28 July | 2pm – 3:30pm | £15
Lisa is running again her “Journey to Headstand” workshop in Hope Studio. Turn your world upside down in this fun afternoon, letting go of fear and exploring your body and mind strength.
Sirsasana (Sanskrit for headstand) is known as the “King of Asanas” and for very good reasons. There are numerous benefits of practicing – for both the body and the mind:-
- Rests and soothes the heart and circulatory system. Since we are upside down, the heart doesn’t have to work as hard to pump blood to the brain.
- Stimulates the nervous system and improves our mood – helping to relieve stress, lethargy and depression.
- Improves digestion – the core is strengthened, and the reversal of gravity helping to release blockages in the intestinal tract.
- Increases upper body strength as we work the arms and shoulders strongly.
- Head balance stimulates the lymphatic system. This improves the body’s ability to remove toxins and waste from the bloodstream.
- Brain function is enhanced – our concentration skills, memory, and ability to focus are all improved.
As with most inversions, fear is our biggest obstacle. The only way to overcome this is to practice, practice, practice!! In this way, we can build courage and gradually overcome our fears – both on and off the mat.
In this workshop, we will be preparing the body carefully and systematically so we can familiarise ourselves with the actions needed to perform Sirsasana safely and with the correct alignment. This approach minimises any risk of damage to the spine, as each part of the body is fully prepared before attempting the full pose.
(Not suitable for those with ear or eye problems, neck issues, or high blood pressure. Must have at least one year of regular yoga experience).